For children with autism and/or apraxia of speech, Animals Movin’ and Groovin’ is a great tool to increase eye contact, encourage engagement with others through the use of music, improve the ability to take turns, increase imitation of actions, and increase learning of animal names and the sounds they make.
In addition to the 12 songs, Animal Movin’ and Groovin’ also includes a collection of posters which contain 12 different animal faces including a monkey, bird, horse, cow, rooster, elephant, lion, sheep, cat, dog, duck, and bee. The center of each poster easily pops out and can be used as a matching task. The Animal Face Posters are excellent for facilitating imitation and for creating eye contact and interaction.
Animals Movin’ and Groovin’ Song Names and Primary Goals
- Hooray! – Animal names, sounds
- On the Farm – Farm animals
- Monkeys in a Tree – Action imitation
- Ah Choo! – Imitation of “ah choo” and animal sounds and names
- Horsie Go to Town – Interaction song
- Animal School – higher level vocabulary and actions
- Monkeys on the Bed – Action imitation
- Who Are You? – Imitation of animal sounds and Wh questions
- Two Little Birds – Colors, action imitation, beginning sound recognition
- Stand Up! – Understanding If/Then concepts
- Walking Elephants – Action imitation
- Animal Jive – Action imitation